Pacquiao team confirms Rios fight

Pacquiao team confirms Rios fight

Manny Pacquiao will return to the ring on November 24 when he takes on Brandon Rios in Macau, organisers confirmed on Tuesday.

The fight will take place at the Venetian Macao casino resort and will be the Filipino's first outside the US since 2006.

"The fight is green and go," Michael Koncz, Pacquiao's chief management adviser, confirmed.

"Rios's style suits Manny because Rios is willing to fight and stand right in front of Manny," he added.

"It is going to be big. It's something that has never been done in Asia. Asia is the new destination for big time boxing."

Koncz added that negotiations are ongoing with a Chinese company that would allow the fight to be broadcasted through smartphones to the Chinese market.

Lee Samuels, a Top Rank spokesman, added that he was happy with Rios as a competitor for Pacquiao.

"Rios is going to stand and fight in front of Pacquiao. Rios will not take a backward step. Definitely he won't run," Samuels told reporters in Manila.

Cameron Dunkin, Rios's manager, also confirmed the fight via a phone call to Manila.

"Brandon is excited and he is honoured to fight Pacquiao," he said.

The fight will provide the 34-year-old Filipino with an opportunity to redeem himself after losing consecutive fights: first a World Boxing Organization welterweight title fight against Timothy Bradley and second a grudge match against Juan Manuel Marquez in December last year.